[Fwd: ubuntu hoary and right-click menu]

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 4 04:08:35 CEST 2005

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the informative reply.  As you're aware, the xfdesktop4
included with Xfld uses a *completely different* menu system than Xfce
xfdesktop's menu system.  Xfce's xfdesktop (as of 4.2.1) should not show
the unresolved symbol problem you're describing, though depending on
whatever is wrong, the "Quit" menu item may not function.  From the
build logs for 4.3.6.4, I see you're definitely using Xfld's xfdesktop4.

If you (i.e., Ubuntu) are installing xfce4-session with the deafult
xfce4 install, you should just be able to replace the call to quit()
with something like system("/path/to/xfce4-session-logout").  Of course,
if the user manually disables xfce4-session, the Quit menu will be
non-functional again.

(All this is assuming you stick with Xfld's xfdesktop4.)

Of course, if you go back to Xfce's xfdesktop, the unresolved symbol
problem will go away (and xfdesktop will run), but the "Quit" menu item
won't do anything.  Or maybe it will.  Reports differ on this.

As an aside, I have no problems with forking, but at least significantly
change the application name!  /me grumbles at Benny

As for actually solving the problem and making it work properly
everywhere, I haven't a clue.

	-brian