XFCE is discussed in distrowatch

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Wed Sep 29 02:28:29 CEST 2004

El mar, 28-09-2004 a las 10:52, Auke Kok escribió:

> we had a slight brainstorm last night and from my operator point of view
> we could:
>
> - pay for more bandwidth (right now I'm anxiously trying to keep
> espresso under 300gb a month average since that is what Remco is
> offering us for free, and I don't want to be the uncle Buck) ...
> needless to say lunar is using much less BW but xfce.org is quite nice
> actually (I estimate 100gb a month right now based on the last 25 days)
> and we have enough surplus to get slashdotted in november
>
> - get you guys a dedicated server (could be quite cheap really even)
> with some form of satisfaction of being self-sufficient

If any cash ever does trickle in, count my vote for the above bandwidth.
Also for the purchase and configuration of a big raid array on the
xfce/lunar server with lots of space for developers.

> - have a BBQ in my garden in Rotterdam or on Oliviers terrace (with lots
> of wine)

Love it, but could not attend (I'm not sure if I'm afraid of flying over
the Atlantic or afraid of the cost of flying).

> - pay people to make artwork

Yes, good idea. I like it.

> - lobby with HP, IBM, Sun etc to get even more involvement into Xfce
> from industry

After Novell's purchase of Ximian, the gnome desktop has tons of money
to lobby the big guys with. Aparently they have been quite successful
with hp, so it would be tough to compete with them on this turf. Maybe
we can sneak in if they leave the door open, which I think they might...

regards,

Edscott