XFCE is discussed in distrowatch

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Tue Sep 28 17:52:40 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-09-28 at 08:42 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Erik Harrison wrote:
>
> >If XFce did accept donations, what would be done with the money?
> >

> i'd probably use it for junk food.
>
> seriously...  i don't really know.  our hosting and bandwidth is donated
> (though i suppose they wouldn't mind some random thank-you payments).
> perhaps we could come up with some creative use, to buy something that
> helps with development?  i really have no idea what that could be, though.
>
> yeah, so i'm back to the junk food idea ^_~.

we had a slight brainstorm last night and from my operator point of view
we could:

- pay for more bandwidth (right now I'm anxiously trying to keep
espresso under 300gb a month average since that is what Remco is
offering us for free, and I don't want to be the uncle Buck) ...
needless to say lunar is using much less BW but xfce.org is quite nice
actually (I estimate 100gb a month right now based on the last 25 days)
and we have enough surplus to get slashdotted in november

- get you guys a dedicated server (could be quite cheap really even)
with some form of satisfaction of being self-sufficient

- have a BBQ in my garden in Rotterdam or on Oliviers terrace (with lots
of wine)

- pay people to make artwork

- lobby with HP, IBM, Sun etc to get even more involvement into Xfce
from industry

plenty of ideas come to mind. I have more (I need a new car).

sofar