xfce4-session incompatible with compositor

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun Sep 26 10:04:14 CEST 2004

Olivier Fourdan wrote:
> Hi Benny,

Hey Olivier,

> I've done the compositor in xfwm4 and it's working fairly well... except
> with the xfce4-session manager.
>
> Xfce4-session grabs the display to prevent any user/app interaction, and
> display the dialog while the screen is grabbed.
>
> Unfortunately, that can't work because the compositor can't access the
> scrreen, so the dialog is no rendered on screen...
>
> That particular design won't work with any compositor manager, not just
> xfwm4's compositor.
>
> The solution (which would be much better IMO) would be to do just like
> you did with the splash screen, ie map an override redirect on top all
> all windows. The compositor doenst' prevent grabbing the keyboard and
> mouse, off course.
>
> What do you think?

It isn't as trivial as I thought. I will change that during the next
days (tho this will slow down the shutdown _a lot_). I'm not familar
with the XComposite/XDamages extensions, but there have to a better way
to work-around the problem. There are dozens of apps grabbing the
display, which will all be broken by this compositor, that can't be
(btw. gnome-session 2.8.0 also still grabs the display and people can
use Gnome with xcompmgr). Please tell me, theres a better way. :-)

> Cheers,
> Olivier.

regards,
Benedikt