xffm, samba, cygwin

Maarten Boekhold boekhold at emirates.net.ae
Wed Sep 22 06:44:53 CEST 2004

edscott wilson garcia wrote:
>>If you can come up with some configure/autotools magic to conditionally
>>exclude samba from the build, I'd be much obliged.
>
> OK, done. Just run configure with --disable-smbbranch.

Thanks, I'll see later if I can come up with a way to automatically use
this as a default on cygwin...

> I seriously doubt whether the fstab stuff will be of any utility under
> windows.

Well, fstab maybe not, as there is no such file under cygwin, but cygwin
*does* use mounts. This is the cygwin way of placing windows paths in
the 'unix filesystem'. I.e. on my system, the mount table (which is
actually stored in the windows registry) looks like:

C:\cygwin\root\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts on /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts type
system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\root\bin on /usr/bin type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\root\lib on /usr/lib type system (binmode)
C:\sw\jdk\1.4.2_02 on /opt/jdk/1.4.2_02 type system (binmode)
C:\cygwin\root on / type system (binmode)
C:\sw\apache on /opt/apache type system (binmode)
c:\sw\sybase on /opt/sybase type system (binmode)
C:\sw\tibco on /opt/tibco type system (binmode)
c:\sw\saxon on /opt/saxon type system (binmode)
c:\Maarten on /home/maarten type system (binmode)
C: on /c type system (binmode)
E: on /e type system (binmode)

There is no GUI based tool for users to maintain this, all you have is
the 'mount/umount' commands. It might be nice to have an xfce4 plugin
that can maintain this... Something for later maybe...

> The second type are the modules
> which require xffm libraries to run (so far just 3 modules: find, samba,
> and properties dialog).

Ah, that's where the confusion was. I was originally under the
impression that libraries such as libxffm_basic/libxffm_secondary etc.
also were modules, but it seems they're just regular shared libraries
that are linked against directly...

> Originally it was using symlinks. Jasper changed them to hard links for
> several good reasons which I can't remember at the moment. Since
> hardlinks are unavailable under cygwin, softlinks should be used for
> windows instead.

OK, should be easy to change...

I'll see if I can find some time today during work to do a bit more work
on this :) (that is if I can get CVS working from the office through a
firewall/proxy).

Maarten