xffm, samba, cygwin

Maarten Boekhold boekhold at emirates.net.ae
Tue Sep 21 16:51:27 CEST 2004

edscott wrote:

If you can come up with some configure/autotools magic to conditionally
exclude samba from the build, I'd be much obliged.

> Other programs xffm uses are
> mount,umount (for fstab branch), cp, mv, tar, mkisofs. The only
> indispensable ones are cp/mv.

These are all available as far as I know, except that mount/umount works
differently under cygwin. There's no fstab. So we might have to tinker a
bit if we want to get that working. Perhaps the best option is to write
a cygwin-specific plugin for managing cygwin mounts.

Edscott, I'm a bit confused about how the plugins that are in the
xffm/libs directory are handled. As far as I can tell these are proper
plugins, i.e. they get installed in a module directory, and should be
loaded using g_module_open etc. Except I can't figure out where this is
happening. Can you please elaborate?

Also, somebody mentioned on IRC that xffm installs itself numerous times
with a bunch of hardlinks. I assume that xffm acts as a wrapper around a
lot of functionality. Can you please elaborate why it is using hardlinks
instead of symlinks? Under cygwin there are no true hardlinks, instead
it just creates a copy of the file, which would be a waste of space.
symlinks however should work.

Apart from the previous mentioned libs/modules, I analyzed all other
plugins, and it appears no changes are necessary (apart from the cygwin
CFLAGS/LDFLAGS/LIBADD stuff) to get these working correctly. Good news.

Maarten