Compositor status

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Mon Sep 20 09:38:53 CEST 2004

On Mon, 20 Sep 2004 10:20:28 +0530, Biju Chacko <biju_chacko at vsnl.net> wrote:
> Don Christensen wrote:
>
> > Just a suggestion, but why not follow the even = stable, odd =
> > development
> > release schedule like many other projects.  It would mean maintaining two
> > "official" releases, but it would allow for a stable bug-fix-only release
> > as well as a not-quite-CVS-bleeding-edge release for slightly more
> > daring.
> >
> > This would allow the compositor to go into 4.3.0, for example, when it is
> > stable enough for general consumption by early adopters.  It might help
> > get more people testing/using new features without them having to go as
> > far as using CVS.
> >
> > The etherboot project is a good example, where there are actually two
> > release managers, one for even and one for odd releases.
> >
> > Just a thought, anyway...
>
> I agree with this actually. I really feel we ought to release more
> often. In my experience, the CVS code is rock solid 90% of the time.

I realize that it would take additional time to do, but XFce already
uses the even odd notation. Just cut, say 4.3.x tarballs once a month,
witth release rule being "It probably compiles".

Lord knows I'd be more likely to run unstable if I had a clear
schedule to match. It also gives downstream something to play with
before stable release, so they know what they are getting.

-Erik

> Perhaps, we should have a separate release manager, who does nothing
> except make releases.
>
> -- b

-Erik