cygwin port: status

Maarten Boekhold boekhold at emirates.net.ae
Sun Sep 12 12:52:48 CEST 2004

Hi all,

The cygwin port seems to be going pretty well. At the moment I'm stuck
at some problems with the loading of plugins. For example, the
xfdesktop:xfce4_desktop_menu plugin (specific to xfdesktop) is installed
by libtool in $(prefix)/lib/xfce4/modules. However, on cygwin only the
libtool archive is installed in this location. The actual DLL
(cygxfce4_desktop_menu.dll) is installed in
$(prefix)/lib/xfce4/bin/cygxfce4_desktop_menu.dll. Don't ask me why,
it's a cygwin libtool specific thing.

g_module_build_path has a problem with this, as it returns
$(prefix)/lib/xfce4/lib/cygxfce4_desktop_menu.dll as the filename to
g_module_open(). Obviously this fails.

I'm mailing with the maintainer of the cygwin glib package to try to get
this fixed. I believe that cygwin gmodule_build_path should try to
discover if there is a libtool archive for the specified module in the
specified directory, and if so return the path to that libtool archive.
g_module_open() knows how to handle/parse libtool archives, and would
thus open the correct DLL
($(prefix/lib/xfce4/bin/cygxfce4_desktop_menu.dll).

When I have a fix for this, I expect all modules to load without
problems, and the biggest hurdles for completing the XFCE4 port to
cygwin would be taken.

Maarten