[Xfce-advocacy] Re: Reminder: Beta 2 this WE

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Fri Oct 29 10:41:34 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> Auke Kok wrote:
>
>> Benedikt Meurer wrote:

>>> I attached a new version of the release notes document. I added the
>>> installer and fixed a few sentences.
>>>
>>> Since we'll release around saturday evening (european time), we
>>> should finish the document in the next 24 hours.
>>>
>> wait you guys are releasing 4.2beta2 right? the announcement is for
>> -final !
>
> yeah, i'm not convinced that formal release notes are necessary for
> betas.  i think the main audience for these betas are people on this
> list, and i think they have a reasonable idea of what to expect.

Thats not true. If betas were only for people on this list, we wouldn't
need to make the effort to create betas, but could simply announce a CVS
tag and maybe upload tarballs.

The main audience is - IMHO - people who would like to give Xfce 4.2 a
try (maybe used 4.0 prior or 4.1cvs) and/or would like to help us with
testing 4.2.

Formal release notes look also adds value to the project IMHO, so people
don't recognize Xfce as just another hacker project (yes I know, some
people prefer the hacker image, but I think we can all agree that a
professional appearance is the better choice), but a worth alternative
to other desktop environments.

>    -brian

Benedikt