side-by-side install weirdness revisited

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 27 06:34:32 CEST 2004

Randy Chung wrote:

> Damn it, all those hours spent pulling my hair out over this nonsense
> :P  Benny's solution's kind of nifty, though.  It'd be nice and easy
> if distros were to put xfce-stable in a different location, but in the
> meantime it's up to dirty hacks to make it work :/

yep, that's the best idea.  i often wonder why gentoo installs KDE to
/usr/kde/$version, while installing gnome to /usr...  and of course xfce
to /usr as well.  annoying.  personally, i'm a fan of /opt, but gentoo's
policy on that is to use it for binary/non-OSS stuff, or stuff that just
doesn't fit into the normal linux FHS.

/me waits for all the lunar guys to start flaming me about using
lunar... again ^_~

    -brian