xfdesktop eating up the memory

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 26 08:57:35 CEST 2004

from the stack traces in the log file, it appears you aren't running the
current libxfcegui4.  i just tried running xfdesktop through valgrind,
and it reported some lost memory, after several menu regenerations, but
nowhere near what you're saying.  perhaps some of the code reversions in
the past week fixed a few memleaks that were introduced.  at any rate,
there is a small leak (about 100k per menu regen) on my system, so let's
see if we can find it...

ok, i found one memleak in XfceIconTheme, where i wasn't freeing a
string i should have been, but there's still a small leak left.  i need
to get to bed, so i'll have to look at it tomorrow.

for future reference, also pass valgrind something like
--num-callers=20, as the default 4-frame stack traces aren't all that
useful.  you might also want to use --show-reachable=yes.  that gives
you a lot of spurious crap, but i have a feeling it might help here.

thanks,
brian