xfdesktop eating up the memory

Toomas Römer tromer at hot.ee
Mon Oct 25 19:55:50 CEST 2004

Hi

> the 'memprof' GUI app is usually sufficient to find memleaks, but i've
> found that it sometimes has... issues... with xfdesktop.  valgrind is
> really the way to go, anyway.
Valgrind seemed easy enough. I started xfdesktop with valgrind and i'm logging
to a file, so if i find anything suspicious i'll let you know.

> if you're using an older version of librsvg and/or libxml2, it's possible
> that the SVG icon loads are leaking.  not really anything i can do about
> that.
I have libxml2 2.6.11, librsvg2-2 2.8.1.

> can you describe your behavior/actions that lead up to the memory usage
> increasing?  loading different backdrops?  regenerating the menu often?
> opening up the window list?  any information you can give will be helpful
> in tracking down the problem.
Most of the time i was hitting ctrl-f1 and alt-tab, a lot. I was running and
testing different programs, thats it.

I tried to find out whats the window list, but windowlist.c in xfdesktop
didn't make sense to me(i haven't used gdk before).

I usually notice the memory thing when i click the right button on the desktop
and it takes 30seconds to load the menu.

/toomasr