xfdesktop eating up the memory

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 25 19:01:38 CEST 2004

On 10/25/04 19:48, Toomas R?mer wrote:
> Hello
>
> xfdesktop takes a lot of memory. After it has been running for couple of
> hours(3-4h) it usually takes 40% of my memory constantly and it grows ~0.1%
> per minute. I usually kill the process and then restart it. My guess is
> memory leaks.
>
> I started seeing this anomaly about a week ago, but i thought that it'll get
> fixed and just kept updating from the cvs.
>
> If somebody would give some pointers how to profile that process i would
> gladly do that.
>
> I'm running the xfce4 from cvs, i update it daily.

the 'memprof' GUI app is usually sufficient to find memleaks, but i've found
that it sometimes has... issues... with xfdesktop.  valgrind is really the
way to go, anyway.

if you're using an older version of librsvg and/or libxml2, it's possible
that the SVG icon loads are leaking.  not really anything i can do about
that.

can you describe your behavior/actions that lead up to the memory usage
increasing?  loading different backdrops?  regenerating the menu often?
opening up the window list?  any information you can give will be helpful
in tracking down the problem.

thanks,
brian