xfmedia 0.1.0 released

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 25 11:36:31 CEST 2004

hi all-

for those of you following my random project development, you might have
heard that i decided to discontinue work on xfmusic4.  i decided that
there were too many intricacies involved in writing a performant audio
decoding/rendering engine, and my time would be better spent elsewhere.
at the same time, i still don't like most of the music player GUIs
available out there, so i decided to start xfmedia, which is based on
the xine audio/video playing engine, using the original xfmusic4 GUI.

xfmedia is mainly geared toward managing and playing music files, but,
with libxine, we get video playing for free (well, almost).  i've been
working on it for a couple weeks now, and i feel like it's stable and
usable enough for an alpha release.

so, if you want to give it a try, visit:
http://www.spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/xfmedia/
the file itself is here:
http://www.spuriousinterrupt.org/projects/xfmedia/files/xfmedia-0.1.0.tar.gz

questions, comments, and bug reports should be emailed directly to me.
at some point i may open a bugzilla product for it on xfce bugzilla, but
not just yet.  please check the "known issues" section of the NEWS file
before reporting bugs.  also, if you notice a video or audio rendering
bug, please see if you can reproduce it using another frontend that uses
xine (such as xine-ui).  if you can't reproduce it elsewhere, then it's
probably my bug; otherwise it's xine's bug.

i'll entertain feature requests, but please do keep in mind that i have
a lot of ideas for xfmedia, and my priorities are: 1) getting basic
functionality and stability in place, 2) adding the features that i
want, 3) adding the features that other people want.  i don't consider
#1 to be finished in the least.

xfmedia requires a recent build of libxine (i've been developing against
version 1.0.0rc6, but anything in the 1.0.0 beta or release candidate
series should work.  it also requires libxfce4util and libxfcegui4 from
xfce 4.2-beta1, or newer.

(a note, because it's not immediately obvious: if you want a fullscreen
video window, double click on it, and do the same to return it to normal
size.  to see playback controls in fullscreen mode, move the mouse to
the bottom of the screen.)

enjoy!

    -brian