detail about xfce4-session man page

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Oct 20 19:32:11 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>>Its ~/.cache/sessions/ and its fixed now, thanks.
>
> on a related note, is there any reason why it's not in
> ~/.cache/xfce4/sessions instead?  and no, i don't consider "because that's
> what it was when i started" to be a valid reason ^_~.

Lets say "Because thats what it is". :-)

Ok, just kidding. :-) The reason is simple: Several applications store
session data, and I would really love to see if all those apps would
store the data to ~/.cache/sessions/, so you have _one_ directory with
all session related data, instead of having ~/.cache/xfce4/sessions,
~/.cache/gnome/sessions, ~/.cache/kde/sessions,
~/.cache/<insert-your-app-here>/sessions. Since Xfce is the first
desktop to support the XDG basedir spec, others will hopefully learn a
lesson from it and don't clutter general data (such as session data)
unnecessary (call me a dreamer, but chances are better than 1%, that the
introduction of XDG basedir spec will led to more structured
configuration storage :-).

Benedikt