Xinerama and Compose, Screen Placement Issues, other small things...

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Oct 20 04:17:49 CEST 2004

Rob Smith wrote:

>On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:46:19 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone
><bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:

>>>ok , cool, and I assume no one else is having these issues tho?
>>>

>>i've noticed something similar when VNCing to machines with a larger
>>desktop resolution than on the local machine.  it's kinda annoying; it
>>would be nice if xfwm4 would avoid placing windows such that their titlebar
>>is off-screen (unless the app requests it, of course).
>>

>but it's not a problem, nothing to be fixed cause you can just move
>the window with a alt click, so move along, no problem here...

i don't really agree: it's not visually pleasing, and i don't think most
users expect that a window's titlebar will be placed off-screen.

>>>sure, but the questions is, can it be done with Xinerama now or not? :)
>>>

>>um, no.  that's essentially what olivier said.
>>

>he just said I could do it on a non xinerama screen, not that it won't
>work on a xinerama screen. That's the same as saying, does Konsole run
>on xfce? it runs on kde. That's not really what I was asking...

your analogy is flawed.  we're talking about a binary choice here: 1) it
runs with xinerama; 2) it runs without xinerama.  well, actually a
ternary choice: 3) all of the above.  olivier's message was clear
enough.  you cannot run multiple panels/taskbars on a xinerama-enabled
screen.  meh, i'm suddenly wondering why i'm bothering to argue such
silly semantics.  ah well, i'm a language pedant.

>>if you had xfce 4.0.x installed to /usr, and then compiled and installed
>>4.1.90 without specifying a prefix, it defaulted to /usr/local, so it's
>>likely that you're still running 4.0.x if that's the case.  as olivier
>>notes, you're using the default 4.0.x xfwm4 theme, and xfwm4's compositor
>>is _not_ enabled in that screenshot, which either means you're running
>>4.0.x, or you didn't enable the compositor at compile-time (it's disabled
>>by default (or it is enabled, but X's composite extension is not enabled).
>>

>So why give out the 4.0.x theme in the package if you don't want
>people to use it?  Here you go,
>http://kormoc.homelinux.org:8080/~kormoc/version.jpg
>Is that enough proof or do I have to switch how the desktop looks from
>how I like it for you guys to trust me that I'm not using the older
>version?

the 4.0.x theme is included in case people liked it and still want to
use it.  we couldn't care less which theme people use.  we pushed this
point about the possibility of you still running 4.0.x because, after
the 4.1.90 release, it was a common problem for people to do as i
described above, and still end up running 4.0.x without knowing it.

>>it's just an on-topic issue.  we like to use the xfce4-dev list for
>>development-related issues, not helping users fix problems with their
>>setup.  also, there are more people subscribed to the xfce list than the
>>xfce4-dev list, so more people can benefit from any discussion resulting
>>from your user-related question.
>>

>Erm, I'm having issues, I'm willing to try to fix them, I would like
>to know if anyone else if having any of the same issues, if anyone
>else is working on them, or if anyone else here even feels that they
>are issues.

right.  and the best place to do that is the xfce general discussion
list, since you have a broader audience of users with a larger variety
of hardware.  again, nothing in your original email had anything to do
with development discussion.

>You guys ask for developers, I respond with some stuff, and I get
>flamed out. I don't even feel like I should bother finishing my patch
>to keep windows from being placed above the top of the screen because
>that issue is a user related issue and a patch for it is useless
>because you can just alt click and move it...

there was no flaming going on.  if you feel you've been flamed, you're
mistaken.  my flames generally involve a lot of harsh language, personal
attacks, and expletives.  i don't see any of that.  olivier's a pretty
even-tempered guy, and is less likely to flame you than i am, which is
pretty unlikely.

>I want to help, I really do, but this isn't really encourging my want
>to help, it's pushing away a potentional developer because you feel
>that I can't tell the differece between two lists and you feel my
>taste in desktop themes is questionable. If that's how it is to be,
>well then I just won't bother.

sorry, but i don't see what you're talking about.  the fact of the
matter is that you *did* make a mistake as to which list to use, and,
when called on it, instead of letting it go, or even apologising, you
had to make a stink about it.  no one questioned your taste in themes;
blatant lies aren't going to help your argument.  honestly, i'm not
really interested in working with someone like that.

    -brian