Xinerama and Compose, Screen Placement Issues, other small things...

Rob Smith kormoc at gmail.com
Tue Oct 19 22:08:04 CEST 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 21:42:15 +0200, Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:
> > Also, I've noticed some apps are having screen placement issues, as
> > you can see here:
> > http://kormoc.homelinux.org:8080/~kormoc/placement.jpg
> > The picture window is raised up from the bottom and the titlebar is
> > above the screen. It appears to be moved up as high as the task bar
> > is, so it might be just a miscalc somewhere? The image in question is
> > viewed using kuickshow. It's rather annoying cause I can't move the
> > window down or anything.
>
> Alt+click moves any window.

ok , cool, and I assume no one else is having these issues tho?

> > I've also wondered if there's a way to have a second panel and taskbar
> > on the second xinerama screen and have it different then the one on
> > the primary screen, if not, that would be a nice feature.
>
> I think you can have that w/out Xinerama.

sure, but the questions is, can it be done with Xinerama now or not? :)

> > Also, I noticed that the software is not using ~/.config and ~/.cache
> > for files, is that going to change once there's a final release?
> > Because that seems rather iffy, no offence. You never know what other
> > programs might use them.
>
> We do use those.

Ya, but why? It seems to me that it's just asking for trouble, there's
other programs that might use the directorys as well, and you already
are using ~/.xfce4, so why not shove it all in there and be safe?

> > Hrm, one more thing. It would be nice to impliment something like
> > ~/.xfce4/autostart or similar, and have it just run any program found
> > in there. It would be a lot simplier then dealing with xinitrc files
> > (gah, giving me headaches, no matter what I put in there, it won't
> > work! :P) and be a lot easier to explain to users :)
>
> We do run what's in ~/Desktop/autostart/

Hrm. Okay, I'll likly submit a patch to use .xfce4/autostart as well
if there's no other reason against doing it.

> Are you sure you are running Xfce 4.1.90, because from the screenshot it
> looks like 4.0.x (which doesn't use the composite extension, which
> doesn't use ~/.confoig and ~/.cache, etc.)

Yes, I am postive I am, I could take another screen shot saying that
it's 4.1.90 if you want. I can't enable the Composite extension as I
said above, and if I was running 4.0.x, how would I even know that I
have to deal with xinitrc in two places? (~/.xfce4/xinitrc and
~/.config/xinitrc)

> PS: I think you should really post this on xfce at xfce.org aimed at user
> question, rather than xfce4-dev at xfce.org which is supposed to be
> dedicated to the developpment of Xfce...

Hrm, I'm sorry, the idea was to find out some stuff and maybe write
patches if I could, I'm sorry to waste your time then if that's not
what this list is for.