Rodent and png icons

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 18 22:12:12 CEST 2004

On 10/17/04 20:22, edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> El dom, 17-10-2004 a las 18:31, Brian J. Tarricone escribi?:
> > edscott wilson garcia wrote:
> >
> > >El dom, 17-10-2004 a las 04:20, Brian J. Tarricone escribi?:

> > >The only difference I can see is whether is should take the first or
> > >last svg match found. I now commit another change so the first one (as
> > >before) is taken. Otherwise something else is broken. All xfdesktop
> > >icons (button 2) show correctly here. Remember that you must update the
> > >Rodent theme (if applicable).
> > >

> > i'm not sure i'm following you: why should i need to update rodent?
> > it's still looking for the same icon names that it was looking for before.
>
> The size field for several directories was incorrectly set. Since this
> was incorrect, xfce-icontheme was interpreting the "size" field --needed
> for correct scaling or determination of exact match-- erroneously.
>

> > >BTW, with no intent to offend or flame, XfceIconTheme should work for
> > >all xfce components, not only xfdesktop. So fixes should be made to
> > >work, not abandoned. Please excuse me if you interpret my point of view
> > >in a negative way. The comment is made in the most positive way.
> > >

> > agreed, but the work you've been doing on it the past few days aren't
> > really "fixes": they're "optimisations".  IIRC, it worked just fine
> > before, but the idea was to make it a little faster by preferring
> > correctly-sized .png images over .svg images since .png images render
> > faster.  sure, i'd love for this to work properly, but if not, i'd
> > prefer the old behavior: slower, but at least correct.
>
> Sorry to contradict you, but no. Check the mailing list archives and you
> will see that I pointed out several weeks ago that the inheritance was
> not working right. No problem. If you won't fix that, I will. After all,
> the code is in a shared library that affects all of us.

i don't recall this, but i was out of town for a week, so i'm a bit
behind.  regardless of what the reason is for making changes, if they
cause regressions in other parts of the code (which seems to be the case
here), i don't care what bug it fixed.  either fix the regression along
with the bug, or revert the change.

> > >If you still cannot render icons with xfdesktop after updating now,
> > >please let me know *what* icons you cannot see. In the interest of team
> > >work, "fix XfceIconTheme" has no meaning if the problem is not specified
> > >(ever been annoyed by a "xxx doesn't work" bug report with no further
> > >information?)
> > >

> > ok, i'll update xfce4-icon-theme, but first, the icons that aren't
> > rendering:
> > xfce4-mixer
> > xfce4-panel
> > xfce4-splash
> > xfwm4
> > xfce4-workspaces
> > now i'll update xfce4-icon-theme and libxfcegui4, and....  those same
> > icons are still missing.  also, i don't know how long this has been a
> > problem (i know it wasn't a problem before), but now most of the icons
> > in the menu are missing if i only rely on the icon theme being installed
> > to /opt/xfce4-cvs/share/icons/.  this worked before.  if i put Rodent in
> > ~/.icons/, most of the icons are back, except for the icons i've listed
> > above.
> >
> > the icons that are missing don't appear to be in the rodent theme:
> > they're in "hicolor".  it appears that the hicolor fallback is broken
> > (or at least somewhat broken), which was not the case before.  note that
> > i have both:
> > /opt/xfce4-cvs/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/xfwm4.svg
> > /opt/xfce4-cvs/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/xfwm4.png
> > this is of course wrong - i'm not sure who set up the pixmap installs,
> > but the .xvg icon should be going to scalable/apps/.  either way, it
> > worked before, so this isn't the problem.
>
> Ok, now we're talking. I'm using /usr/share/icons/hicolor. My directory
> has a correctly defined icon.theme file (with a size field set to 48)
> here. Is yours OK? Xfce-icontheme has been using that field for a long
> time.
>
> If this is the problem then it has nothing to do with the Rodent theme
> nor xfce-icontheme, but still is a problem.

i do indeed have an index.theme file (as installed by libxcegui4), and it's
identical to the one installed to /usr/share/icons/hicolor by
hicolor-icon-theme-0.5 from freedesktop.org.

> > so, to summarise:
> > * before your changes, everything worked fine.
> > * now, the icons i've listed above are missing, even after updating
> > libxfcegui4 and xfce4-icon-theme (about 4:30pm PDT, sunday).  they are
> > present in the hicolor theme, installed to xfce's $prefix (which is not
> > a system prefix).
> > * at least one of the .svg icons for the settings manager is installed
> > to the wrong location.  i'll look into fixing this one.
> > * bottom line:  if you can get the "prefer .png over .svg" code to work,
> > that's great.  i think it's a useful change, and a good optimisation
> > that doesn't reduce quality.  if you can't fix it, i want it reverted.
>
> I'm not incompetent, although you seem to imply so. It works. It's not
> rocket science. Look and review the 4 lines of code that are modified
> from the original. Please. And yes, it makes some other bugs in Xfce
> which were previously hidden come to surface. Fixing these other bugs
> only makes Xfce stronger. That should not be a problem. I'm tired now.

oh, here we go again.  jeez, edscott, you really have this thing about
looking for insult where none is intended.  "i'm tired now"!  you're
making yourself tired by getting all worked up over nothing.  chill.
if your changes have exposed bugs elsewhere in my implementation, i'll
apologise for my quick judgement, but i haven't seen any evidence
that supports that as of yet.  i haven't had time to dig into it too
deeply myself, but i'll endeavor to do so tonight.  but please, there's
no reason to get your knickers in a twist over something this trivial.
nowhere did i imply you're incompetent.  get over it.

	-b