xfwm4 + Xinerama

Ori Bernstein rand_chars at rogers.com
Fri Oct 15 23:35:56 CEST 2004

On Fri, 15 Oct 2004 22:55:24 +0200
Olivier Fourdan <fourdan at xfce.org> wrote:

> Yes, it is normal. I was personally in favour of removing the previous
> "unmaximized" position and location as soon as the window was moved but
> a lot of people complained about this behaviour so now it's like that...

I see. Would it be possible to use the offset from a corner of the current
monitor (maybe from the bottom-right corner), which would perserve the
unmaximized position relative to the monitor, rather than relative to the
entire screen(sorry, I don't know much about X programming, and am still
learning, so I'm not sure if it's possible.)

Also, is there any chance metacity's handling of dragging maximized windows
could be implemented?
namely, the way it keeps the window maximized to the current monitor's
resolution when dragging between monitors, rather than preserving the size of
the window.
When working with Xinerama, esp. with monitors running at different
resolutison, this gets very very very useful.

(the other main thing keeping me on Gnome at the moment with Xinerama systems is
the multiple panel, but that's in the todo for 4.4, so I'm not going to complain
about that)

If these features are actually wanted and deemed good by the xfce devels, I'd
definitely be willing to learn more GTK and X programming and pitch in for
both, given time (I may be a bit short at the moment, though. School.), although
I'd probably need someone to help me out initially with pointers to tutorials
and some help familiarizing myself with the codebase. I have experience in C,
but not much with GTK/Glib, and I have pretty much none with raw Xlib.