is Xfce getting too bloated ?

Edward Herr edward.herr at charter.net
Thu Oct 14 20:04:00 CEST 2004

And from another user perspective....
XFCE4 is only as bloated as you want it to be. One of the beautiful things
about XFCE is its modularity. On a 1.8MHz P4-M with 512M RAM my desktop loads in
seven seconds from GDM. Time to exit XFCE is 3 seconds(back to GDM). Considering
my IDE controller/hard drive is not the fastest thing out there, the session
load and exit times are pretty damn fast. The only desktop environment I've
found that has faster load times than XFCE is Fluxbox... and it is a bit on the
lean side for my tastes.

To make XFCE even a bit leaner on my system I don't use xfce4-session or the
taskbar (I'm using the taskbar applet for the panel)... I've found I like the
control editing xinitrc gives me.

Speaking of xfce4-session, would it be possible to add options to exclude XFCE
components from loading during session initialization? In particular, I don't
have any need for the taskbar. I don't particularly need the feature as I don't
use xfce4-session or load the taskbar with xinitrc but it might be a nice
feature for users who do not wish to muck around with editing their init file.

Thanks for the tremendous amount of work you guys have put into XFCE over the
years.

With warm regards,
Edward

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:02:23 -0400
purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:

> i just ran a test of Xfce 4.1.90 against KDE 3.3.0

--- Snip ---