is Xfce getting too bloated ?

Jens Luedicke jens.luedicke at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 18:28:24 CEST 2004

Oh please, thats like comparing apples with oranges.
Please consider that its always slower if you start some app
for the first time. Your comparison is pointless, because Xfce
has to load its libs, start its own apps, the KDE services and
some other apps. KDE has to start itself and some other apps.

Your posting is full of facile observations and ridiculous
argumentations. Please think before you post.

Jens

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 11:02:23 -0400, purslow at sympatico.ca
<purslow at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> i just ran a test of Xfce 4.1.90 against KDE 3.3.0
> on my Gentoo system with an  AMD XP 2500+  &  512 MB  memory:
> both are set up with  10  desktops (workspaces) & should auto-start
>  2  Konsoles, Mutt, Lynx, Konqueror, Gvim, Gqview, Gkrellm, Kmahjongg ;
> Xfce is also set to launch KDE services (as defined in the settings window),
> which are started automatically by KDE itself.
>
> after a reboot in each case & timed from entering the start command
> to appearance of a desktop (tested by clicking a workspace switcher button),
> KDE took  30 seconds  to start, while Xfce took  32 seconds .
>
> it may be of interest that KDE takes longer to close down
> --  12 seconds  against  4 seconds  -- , which suggests
> that KDE may be more careful about storing session-management information.
>
> also, the Xfce session-manager is unpredictable about what it starts:
> sometimes it doesn't start Konqueror, sometimes not Mutt (only a 3rd Konsole).
> i don't know whether this would also happen with KDE if i used it often.
> both correctly started all applications in the test above.
>
> --
> SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca
> ELECTRIC   /] [] [] [] [] []|  Centre for Urban & Community Studies
> TRANSIT    `-O----------O---'  University of Toronto

Jens Luedicke
web: http://public.fh-wolfenbuettel.de/~luedickj/
blog: http://www.livejournal.com/users/perldude/