Some 4.1.90 usability thoughts

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Oct 14 06:46:14 CEST 2004

On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 10:27:27 +0000, Jeff Franks <jcf at tpg.com.au> wrote:
> purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
>
> >[snip]
> >
> >i save screen space (on my 15-inch monitor) by putting the panel at left
> >-- also app toolbars where possible -- with iconbox at top left.
> >there are some screenshots at  http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~purslow/ ,
> >esp  xfree-konqueror.png , which also shows the left-side toolbar.
> >
> >one of the great things re Xfce is that users can configure it to taste.
> >

> That used to be the case with GNOME too, a long time ago, in a galaxy
> far far away!

It's funny that you say that. I really think that many of Havoc's
general principles of interface design are quite sound, but I just
don't like the resulting product.

In the past few months I've heard more and more people complain about
how the Gnome 1.4 series was the closest thing to a good environment
for them. Several of them told me they were moving from Gnome to Xfce,
and I pointed the remainder this way. I've seen several people on
slashdot recently say they were moving to Xfce from Gnome for that
very reason (It came up a few times in the recent
will-slackware-drop-gnome speculation).

-Erik

> Jeff

-Erik