Integrating GFC into Xfce

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Wed Oct 13 13:24:03 CEST 2004

Jeff Franks schrieb:
> Benedikt Meurer wrote:
>
>> [snip]
>>
>>> I like the names Xfce-Core and Xfce-UI so I'll work with those. Using
>>> these names means that other relevent classes/objects/files could be
>>> added to the modules if required without contradicting the module
>>> name. Using the library naming scheme you mentioned the library names
>>> for the modules would be libxfccore4.<suffix> and libxfcui4.<suffix>.
>>> The .pc files would be xfccore4.pc and xfcui4.pc. Does that sound OK.
>>

>> Please use xfccore4-1.pc or something like that. In case of drastic
>> changes before Xfce5, we can safely increment that number to
>> work-around these changes and do not need to break all existing
>> installations.
>>
>>> [snip]
>>

>> I don't like "XFC" for the namespace. Uppercase names should be
>> reserved for constants and macros IMHO. I'd vote for "Xfc" or "Xfce"
>> for the toplevel namespace.
>>
>> As with the .pc files: Please use $includedir/xfce4/xfc-1/xfc/... for
>> the header files, so we are safe here. Then in the .pc file, use:
>>
> Can I use the current GFC scheme (same as gtkmm)  which uses the <major
> + minor> version numbers as a suffix.
>
> $includedir/xfce4/xfc-4.4/xfc/... for the header files
>
> and
>
> xfccore-4.4.pc and xfcui-4.4.pc
>
> then in Xfce 4.6 it could be
>
> $includedir/xfce4/xfc-4.6/xfc/... for the header files
>
> and
>
> xfccore-4.6.pc and xfcui-4.6.pc

This looks like a good solution (as Danny already mentioned, we are
talking about C++ not C, which is [from my experience] more vulnerable
to "ABI/API breakage" than plain C).

And everybody should keep in mind, that we aren't talking about the
minimum development plattform provided by Xfce so far, but a more
complex C++ based development plattform. Its better to take care of such
things now, than have to break things later.

> Jeff Franks.

regards,
Benedikt