Integrating GFC into Xfce

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Tue Oct 12 17:58:43 CEST 2004

El mar, 12-10-2004 a las 20:37, Jeff Franks escribió:

> 1. How should GFC be integrated into Xfce? Should the rebranded binding
> be a separate module that installs into a separate base directory from
> 'xfce4'.

I would prefer as a module within the xfce directory, but that's just
me.

> If it should then perhaps the rebranded binding should have its own name
> as well, such as 'Xfce Foudation Classes' or 'Xfce Developement
> Platform' or something else. If it shouldn't then a separate name wont
> be needed. There would just be two new Xfce modules, one that wraps GLib
> and one that wraps GTK+, that install into the 'xfce4' base directory.
>
> 2. Should the rebranded binding follow the GTK+ or Xfce4 version numbers.

Xfce4 version numbers.

> If the binding follows the Xfce4 version numbers the GLib and GTK+
> wrappers would only be updated with each new desktop environment
> release. This would mean that if there had been no Xfce release for some
> time the GLib/GTK+ binding would not be up to date and users wouldn't
> have access to newer GTK widgets. My initial thought is that following
> the GTK+ version numbers would be best. Xfce wont actually use the
> binding itself so there is no real need for the binding's version
> numbers to be tied to the desktop enviroment's.

Initially xfce will not use the binding (today), but probably will use
the binding in the future (at least I plan to give it a try). Best to
use xfce version numbers because that way the target gtk+ version is
respected. For example, xfce4.2 is required to compile and run on
gtk-2.2. Whether to require gtk-2.4 for Xfce-4.4 has not yet been
decided.

> 3. What to call the new Xfce modules? The current GFC modules are called
> GFC-Core which wraps GLib and GFC-UI which wraps ATK/GDK/GTK/Pango.
>
> The new module names could be something like Xfce-GLib and Xfce-GTK, or
> XfGLib and XfGTK.

Or XfceGFC...

regards,

Edscott