Xfce 4.2 : desktop menu buglets

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun Oct 10 21:41:16 CEST 2004

purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:

> so what is the point of the auto-generated menu ?
> IMHO it's not fit to include in 4.2 as it stands:

Why don't you hold back the judgements for a while, if you don't fully
understand the matter?

> it gets a limited set of apps -- KDE + a few random others -- ,
> is vulnerable to spurious  xxx.desktop  files it finds
> & misses a lot of important items, eg Open Office.

We follow the freedesktop standard. If applications decide to not
cooperate, that can be a problem. The solution is to fix those applications.

> i can roll my own by hacking  menu.xml  (excellent help: yours?),
> perhaps by using the menu editor or by using some non-Xfce tool.
> even a small amount of work in that way will create something
> a lot more useful than the auto-generated stuff.
>
> am i missing something ?

The menu should follow the basedir spec to get it's path, so you could
try to set XDG_DATADIRS to include your gnome location (I presume that
is what's missing) and openoffice.

It works fine for many people.

	Jasper