libxfcegui4 and libxml

edscott wilson garcia edscott at xfce.org
Fri Oct 8 17:58:42 CEST 2004

El vie, 08-10-2004 a las 05:27, Benedikt Meurer escribió:
> Martti Kuparinen wrote:

> >> configure.ac contains a check for libxml-2.4.0, but its optional. If
> >> libxml-2.4.0 isn't found, HAVE_LIBXML won't be set and the mime stuff
> >> won't work (IIRC).
> >
> > And the whole thing won't compile either (see the Error 1 above)...
>
> Right, that needs to be fixed in the source.
>
> > Well, I "fixed" this by making this module depend on libxml2 but I still
> > think the configure script must be fixed.
>
> I have no problem with a dependency on libxml. Olivier, Jasper, Brian,
> Edscott, any complains here?

Does the panel still depend on libxml? Let me see... Yes, it does.

I have no problem removing the libxml dependency from xfce4-modules, but
I do think it would be sort of a waste of time if the panel still
requires it.

I've noticed that switching to plain glib is fine, and probably will
suit xfce4-modules. But for the panel the story is different. The
panel's xml configuration file has a complex structure which is not
quite suited for the simple glib parser. Simplifying the structure would
probably break things.

In any case, if the libxml dependency is not added to libxfcegui4 (for
that 1% of users who will not compile the panel) then this should be
catalogued as a bug and the dependency removed. OTH, our time might be
better used if we assume the panel will be compiled and require libxml
from libxfcegui4.

regards,

Edscott