xfce4 installer/packager

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Fri Oct 8 12:51:56 CEST 2004

Hi there,

I wrote a bash script that automates the building, packaging (at the
moment 'rpm' and 'deb') and installation of the xfce4 sources. I wrote
it mainly for myself to save time when trying to keep up with CVS, but
maybe others find it useful as well. You can download the whole package
at http://hobbes.gmxhome.de .
You'll need the epm package manager (written by the cups guys, quite
handy), when you like to create binary packages (fetch it at
http://www.easysw.com/epm/).
This is not meant as a competitor for Bennys xfce4 installer, since it
aims at building binary packages, which I find much simpler to maintain
as ".tar.gz-make-installs". But it can of course also be used as a mere
installer. But Bennys installer is for sure far more sophisticated.

Please mail me personally (see --help) or to the xfce4 lists for bugs,
suggestions, comments, whatever.
Please note that both the script and the created packages work fine for
me (on my Fedora Core 2), but most likely I did not test all possible
scenarios. So it comes of course without any warranty.

Nick.

PS: If s.o. with a debian system could send my the correct command line
for updating/installing a deb package, I'd be delighted. It should be
the equivalent to rpm -Uvh <package>. So far I used just dpkg -i <package>