Xfce 4.2 : user's comments

Danny Milosavljevic danny.milo at gmx.net
Fri Oct 8 17:47:06 CEST 2004

Hi,

Am Freitag, den 08.10.2004, 10:59 -0400 schrieb purslow at sympatico.ca:
> 041007 Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> > On 10/07/04 09:39, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> >> i've now been using 4.2 for  > 1 day  & have had no problems.
> >> there are a few small things developers mt like to hear re.
> >> (1) session management: in the session i asked to save,
> >> i had Lynx & Mutt running, one in an Xterm, the other in Konsole.
> >> when i restarted, neither was running, but there was an extra Konsole
> >> on a desktop where there had been no terminal in the previous session.
> >> no compliant (of course), but it wb nice if the session manager cd start
> >> applications running on terminals, not just the raw terminals
> >> (AFAIR KDE also falls short on this point).
> > unless the terminal app supports remembering stuff like this on its own,
> > there's no way for the session manager to know what's running in the term'l.
>
> well, a couple of more recent restarts have indeed started Lynx & Mutt
> -- it's really nice that apps which were in the iconbox restart there -- ,
> but now Konqueror is not starting, possibly due to an inaccessible site:
> my Lynx starts w its local bookmark file, Konqueror w the weather forecast,
> so if there is a short delay in finding the latter, Konqueror may abort.
>
> so once more, you are too pessimistic re what Xfce can do (grin)!
>
> >> (2) desktop menu: in the generated part, there are  2  lines
> >> 'gwenview' & 'konqueror' w submenus 'Konqueror - set as tiled wallpaper -
> >> set as wallpaper' & 'Browse with Gwenview - Rename with &krename -
> >> Rename with &KRename': again no complaint, but something is not quite right.
> > KDE has some .desktop files that should be marked as KDE-specific
> > such that other DEs can avoid including them, but they aren't.
> > xfdesktop has a blacklist, but i need to add items to it manually.
> > if you can find the .desktop files that are generating these entries,
> > open a bug on bugzilla, and attach each .desktop file
> > (separate attachments, uncompressed, please).
>
> no sign of anything called  ~/.desktop  nor  ~/kde3.3/.desktop  etc.
> if you can tell me just where the session manager looks for apps,
> i can search thro' the dirs involved to see what might be causing this.

all of:
/usr/share/applications
/usr/local/share/applications
/home/purslow/.local/share/applications

for the files that have names that end in ".desktop" (for the
"installed" programs)

and either
/etc/xfce4/menu.xml*, or, if present
/home/purslow/.config/xfce4/desktop/menu.xml

for the remainder of the menu (as xfce4-menueditor edits the desktop
menu).

Hope that helps

cheers,
   Danny