Proposal: An Xfce C++ language binding for GTK+

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Fri Oct 8 00:39:24 CEST 2004

Jeff Franks wrote:
> Proposal: An Xfce C++ language binding for GTK+
> From: Jeff Franks.

First of all, I don't even know C++, so I may be biased and/or
prejudiced. But, to be honest, I just don't see this. Let me try to explain.

Our 'development platform' consists  basically of some libs with a few
functions specific to Xfce. Our real development platform is Gtk, which
is what you have wrapped already.

Xfce is a collection of smallish utilities that try to work together to
provide a good desktop experience. Everything is now written in C,
because, AFAIK, that is what Olivier prefers.

Ok, now where does GFC come into this?

IMHO, it does not make sense to split our main development platform
between a C++ and a C framework. We're just not big enough. Even GNOME
doesn't do that.

That leaves two possibilities for GFC: either to be used to write
3rd-party applications or to switch Xfce development over completely to
C++. 3rd-party development is basically non-existant, so that doesn't
help you, nor would it give you any advantage over what you have now.

Switching over to C++ could be done; could be gradual too, one module at
the time. I guess that mainly depends on personal preference and real or
perceived advantages. Personally I don't think that will buy us much,
but like I said that may be because I'd have to learn C++ first.

Your making a very cool offer, I really appreciate that. I just don't
really see how it would fit in our development activities. Do you have
ideas on this yourself?

Thanks,
	Jasper