how to use 4.0.6 & 4.2.0 simultaneously

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Oct 5 13:28:32 CEST 2004

Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
> i agree to the second paragraph.  the instaler should _not_ try to
> overwrite whatever's on the system, as i'm sure many people have xfce 4.0
> managed by their package manager of choice.  it would be unwise to
> arbitrarily muck around with that.  it would be nice if the installer
> did check for an older version of xfce, though, and either not install,
> or give a suitable warning that the user should remove the old version
> before proceeding.

I kinda disagree here. I have updated 2 4.0 systems to 4.2 recently
using the installer and I _wanted_ to overwrite the 4.0 install; I'm not
a fan of either RPM or emerge, so I didn't care about the package
system. :-)

But yes, the installer try to give the user more information about what
will happen, a README file would be a good start here. Somebody wanted
to write a README file for the installer, but I haven't received
anything yet. So feel free to send me suggestions for README files.

Btw. it would be nice if you could send those stuff in private mail or
discuss the stuff in the installer forum at forum.os-cillation.com, I'm
having trouble keeping up with reading xfce4-dev recently. :-/

regards,
Benedikt