how to use 4.0.6 & 4.2.0 simultaneously

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Tue Oct 5 04:53:39 CEST 2004

On 10/04/04 19:39, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> 041004 Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 07:55:47AM -0400, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> >> as for 4.2 , i don't seem able to get any of it except the splash screens.
> > They cannot be installed in paralel, I don't know why you would expect that.
>
> i have KDE 3.2.3 & 3.3.0 happily installed alongside one another:
> why wd Xfce be different ?
>
> > If you don't set up your environment so it runs xfce 4.2,
> > we cannot do anything about that.
>
> so how shd i go about "setting up my environment" for 4.2 ?
>
> i'm not complaining (smile), but you're not responding to the problem.

perhaps jasper should have been a bit more clear.  it _is_ possible to
install 4.0.x and 4.2.x in parallel, but _only_ if you do not install
either of them to a normal system prefix, like /usr (and /usr/local on some
systems).  i'd bet you have your kde versions installed to something like
/usr/kde/3.2 and /usr/kde/3.3, right?

now, i suppose it _is_ possible to install them both if one of them is in,
e.g., /usr.  but that probably involves hacking a good number of the
makefiles, and possibly the .pc files to make sure that the library search
path is specified in a certain way on the gcc link lines.  it's not a
trivial task, and, to be honest, i don't think it's worth it.  it makes more
sense to isolate the environment from your normal system directories.

	-brian