Xfce panel translucent

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Mon Oct 4 15:45:56 CEST 2004

Juha Kautto wrote:

> I hope I am not adding confusion or maybe I am missing something, but
> I have no problems of dragging windows under my panel. Works just
> fine. (using Xfce4 Beta 1)

I think I guess what Brian is talking about: when the panel is
orientated horizontally and located on the top screen corner, windows
can indeed not be dragged under it manually. But when it's located on
the bottom, it does work, although not completely: a window can be
dragged under the panel until half of the window title bar is beneath
it, the rest is not. But that does make sense to me: a window with a
width smaller than the panels would actually be not accessible any more.
In vertical orientation there seem to be no restrictions.

Nick.

> [...]
>> email
>> did i breathe a word about struts.  i understood what you said after my
>> first email - the panel's behavior of not allowing windows underneath it
>> has nothing to do with struts.
>>

>>> Struts and partian struts are used for maximization, window
>>> placement and
>>> movement. A user can move a window under the panel even if it sets
>>> struts
>>> (otherwise the desktop would be mostly unusable)
>>>

>> just to be clear: i understand that this has nothing to do with
>> struts, ok?

>>> Again, that's not true.
>>

>> ok, then the panel is telling xfwm4 not to allow windows under it.  i
>> really don't care what the mechanism is - you're avoiding my point by
>> continually focusing on what may be my incorrect assumptions about
>> how it
>> works.  but the fact remains that i can't drag windows underneath the
>> panel
>> when it's in always-on-top mode.  and this annoys me.  a lot.
>>
>> so, my original point still remains:  a translucent panel is useless
>> if it doesn't allow windows *to be moved by the user* under the
>> panel.  i
>> don't care if this is achieved in the WM or in the panel itself, but i'm
>> just saying that, if the panel keeps windows from going under it at all
>> when it's in "always on top" mode, it seems kinda silly to force it
>> to be
>> translucent, since you can't make use of the area under the panel
>> anyway.

>>> Don' t run the compositor, or don't place the panel on top.
>>>

>> so you're saying that i can't have drop shadows, and run my panel on
>> top,
>> without it being translucent?  that's silly.  you're going to force
>> me to
>> give up drop shadows if i think translucent windows provide a poor user
>> interface?  sure, they have their uses, but some people, especially
>> those
>> with vision problems, will find this disconcerting.  those same people
>> might like (for example) drop shadows, because they help to
>> differentiate
>> the relative "heights" of overlapping windows.
>>

>>> I suggest that you try the feature, place the xfce panel on top and
>>> try to
>>> maximize a window, try moving other widnows, etc.
>>>

>> well, i can't right now, since i won't have access to a linux box
>> until the
>> end of the week.  but, as of this past friday, with the panel set on
>> top,
>> maximised windows do indeed avoid the panel (as i'd expect; this is good
>> behavior); but i cannot drag windows beneath the panel (which i think is
>> bad behavior).  if this latter behavior has changed with the advent
>> of this
>> new translucency feature, a) sorry for wasting your time, b) why didn't

Nikolas Arend
Straubinger Str. 13
D-80687 Muenchen

Tel: +49-89-36100584