how to use 4.0.6 & 4.2.0 simultaneously

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Mon Oct 4 13:55:47 CEST 2004

041004 Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
>> have things been set up to allow easy alternation of versions ?
>> esp there is the question of  ~/.xfce4 , parts of which 4.2.0 overwrote
>> (of course, i made a copy of the previous version & cd restore it).
> You can't really install them in parallel,
> so it's really up to you to setup the correct environment.
> All config is under ~/.config/xfce4/ and ~/.config/xfce4-session/,
> except some xfce-goodies panel plugins.

in that case, there sb no conflict (i don't use panel plug-ins), but ...

> I would like to know what files got overwritten by Xfce 4.2,
> because that most definitely would be a bug.

... i did another test: i moved my regular  ~/.xfce4  to another name,
made sure there was nothing of Xfce in  ~/.config  & started 4.2 .
after the splash screen, the default desktop (IIRC) for 4.0.6 came up
w what look like the settings window & desktop menus for 4.0.6 :
the only sign of 4.2 was the splash screen & the exit window.
after exiting, i checked my home dir & found it had created a new  ~/.xfce4 ,
which contained  xfce4rc xfce4rc.bak (identical) sessions/ settings/ ,
wh in turn contained (1st) nothing & (2nd)  xfce-settings.xml backdrop.xml ,
perhaps reflecting my brief exploration of the settings window;
there was also  ~/.config/xfce4-session/xfce4-session.rc ,
wh had just  2 lines , as i told it not to save a session when exiting.

when i emerged 4.0.6 (on Gentoo), it installed  /etc/xfce4/ ,
wh has copies of  xfce4rc xinitrc  (& a lot of language files),
so perhaps 4.2 is somehow picking up that stuff.
shdn't 4.2 install something in  /etc  when the install script runs ?

i deleted all the stuff created by 4.2 , restored  ~/.xfce4  as before
& am now back to my normal 4.0.6 working environment.

as for 4.2 , i don't seem able to get any of it except the splash screens.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca