how to use 4.0.6 & 4.2.0 simultaneously

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Mon Oct 4 10:30:31 CEST 2004

On Mon, Oct 04, 2004 at 03:52:06AM -0400, purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> well, not exactly simultaneously, but swapping to & fro (smile).
>
> i installed 4.2.0 & started it w a mixed result:
> there's an irritating little silver line at the bottom of the screen
> -- mt it be the taskbar, which i don't want to use ? --
> but otherwise the panel, launchers & settings manager were taken from 4.0.6 ,
> so i didn't get the proper 4.2.0 experience.
>
> OTOH, i couldn't get 4.0.6 to start properly after trying 4.2.0 ,
> but eventually found there were lines in  .xinitrc  re a session-manager,
> which i had to comment out to stop it finding the 4.2.0 session-manager
> & starting 4.2.0 instead of 4.0.6 .
>
> have things been set up to allow easy alternation of versions ?
> esp there is the question of  ~/.xfce4 , parts of which 4.2.0 overwrote
> (of course, i made a copy of the previous version & cd restore it).

You can't really install them in paralel, so it's really up to you to setup
the correct environemnt.

However, I would like to know what files got overwritten by Xfce 4.2, because
that most definitely would be a bug.

> i'm happy to try out 4.2.0 & report successes & failures,
> but don't want to have to spend a lot of time searching in obscure dirs
> for some file which has been altered w/o warning by 4.2.0 .
> it is important to be able to get back to my normal working environment
> for all the other things i want to do each day.

All config is under ~/.config/xfce4/ and ~/.config/xfce4-session/, except
some xfce-goodies panel plugins.

	Jasper