XFce4 RC1 problems

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 17 08:59:07 CET 2004

On 11/17/04 09:01, Andrey Astafiev wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I've got three problems with XFce4 RC1.
> 1. Desktop can't load menu plugin until attached patch applied.

with the patch applied, what happens when you click on the "quit" menu
item in the desktop menu?  does xfdesktop crash?

> 2. Menus stay on desktop until something is repaint over it. See screenshot.

you're using gtk 2.5.  this is unsupported, aa 2.5 is development code.
revert to the stable 2.4.x series and you'll be fine.  there's no reason
to be using 2.5 unless you're a gtk developer, or are developing an app
against gtk 2.5 APIs.

> 3. Menu doesn't shows content of external file included by directive
> <include type="file" src="menu2.xml"/>, although this file is parsed well.

you're probably trying to use the same menu2.xml as from 4.0.x.  included
menus now have to be fully valid xfdesktop-menu XML files, not just the
portion to be included.  usually you can just add the XML header from
the main menu.xml, and then wrap the rest of the contents inside
<xfdesktop-menu> </xfdesktop-menu> tags.

> My environment is gcc-3.3.3, linux-2.6, gtk-2.5.4, XFce 4 RC1 compiled
> by myself.

are you using ubuntu, by chance?

	-brian