double menu entries

Joop Stakenborg pg4i at xs4all.nl
Tue Nov 16 07:51:59 CET 2004

Op ma, 15-11-2004 te 14:11 -0800, schreef Brian J. Tarricone:
> On 11/15/04 22:27, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> > I noticed that xfce4 creates double menu entries when an application
> > registers with both gnome and kde. For example, qalculate uses the
> > following entries in qalculate.desktop:
> >
> > Categories=GNOME;Application;Utility;
> > Categories=Qt;KDE;Utility
> >
> > This file is installed both in $(datadir)/applications (use by gnome)
> > and $(datadir)/applnk/Utilities (kde), resulting in 2 identical xfce
> > menu entries in the xfce Utilities menu.
>
> if the .desktop file contains two Categories= lines, then it's invalid.
> the menu avoids duplicates by comparing the full menu path of the
> to-be-added item to previous items.  if there's a match, it discards it.
> if the two .desktop files end up specifying the location differently,
> there's nothing i can do.  you should bug the qalculate maintainer to
> fix his .desktop files.

Okay,

what about the following. I have developed an application with a single
desktop file and a single entry:

Categories=GNOME;Application;Utility;

I install it in $(datadir)/applications (gnome) and
$(datadir)/applnk/Applications (kde). The xfce menu now also shows 2
entries. BTW this is for XFCE 4.2 RC1.

> 	-brian
> _______

Regards,