double menu entries

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 15 23:11:36 CET 2004

On 11/15/04 22:27, Joop Stakenborg wrote:
> I noticed that xfce4 creates double menu entries when an application
> registers with both gnome and kde. For example, qalculate uses the
> following entries in qalculate.desktop:
>
> Categories=GNOME;Application;Utility;
> Categories=Qt;KDE;Utility
>
> This file is installed both in $(datadir)/applications (use by gnome)
> and $(datadir)/applnk/Utilities (kde), resulting in 2 identical xfce
> menu entries in the xfce Utilities menu.

if the .desktop file contains two Categories= lines, then it's invalid.
the menu avoids duplicates by comparing the full menu path of the
to-be-added item to previous items.  if there's a match, it discards it.
if the two .desktop files end up specifying the location differently,
there's nothing i can do.  you should bug the qalculate maintainer to
fix his .desktop files.

	-brian