RC1 compile/link error

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Mon Nov 15 13:40:46 CET 2004

purslow at sympatico.ca wrote:
> really, you can't expect a user -- naive or thoughtful --
> to uninstall a stable working version of Xfce4
> in order to install a potentially buggy version of the next release

Installing two different major versions of a non-trivial software (lynx
can be considered trivial in this context), where one installation was
done in a system location like /usr, is really a feature and not
self-evident. Try to install Gnome 2.6 to /usr and Gnome 2.8 to
/usr/local and you'll learn how easy it is to follow the suggested
work-arounds for Xfce in this thread.

If you want to blame this problem on someone, blame it on the packagers
of your distribution in use. The whole problem wouldn't arise if some
Linux distributions wouldn't install 3rd party software into system
locations.

So, you might think we have a priorities problem, but you are kinda
mistaken. Its your distributor that has this priorities problem.

On a side note: Newer versions of libtool should include a fix that
might work-around the problem of installing Xfce in /usr and /usr/local.
You might want to give it a try and report your results here.

regards,
Benedikt