RC1 compile/link error

Randy Chung aoshi at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Nov 15 12:40:25 CET 2004

As both the person who edited the release notes and someone who's put in
a lot of time trying to make it possible to build 4.0.6 and 4.2 side by
side, here are some things you should know:

1) A lot of time has been put in trying to get both 4.0 and 4.2
installed side by side; I've spent a lot of time working with the
configure scripts and the autoconf/automake toolchain, and I assure you,
it's not easy to do (in fact, there were reports from one of the libtool
devs(?) that libtool was broken in one very specific instance, which
happens to be the instance at hand here)

2) It's not that we don't want you to report bugs.  Please understand
that this issue has come up before ad nauseum, and while it may be new
to you it's tired and old for us (and I haven't even been here that
long!)  Accordingly, we've become rather short on patience.  And on that
note...

3) Someone (Francois?) might want to add a note to the release notes
that the problems with building 4.0 and 4.2 side by side is a known
issue and to not report those bugs.

Thanks for being interested in trying to contribute by reporting bugs,
but this isn't so much a bug as it is broken tools.

Don't get your feelings hurt; it's not meant to be personal.

--

Randy