RC1 compile/link error

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 15 12:01:52 CET 2004

please have a search of the xfce4-dev archives.  this problem you're seeing
has been brought up and discussed quite a few times, and, frankly, i'm
tired of going over it for the hundredth time.  it _may_ be possible to
tweak the makefiles to get things to build properly, but it's not
something anyone's had the fortitude to finish.  libtool is picky about
how it does things, and there are very few people that can claim to
understand all the interactions.

bottom line: if it doesn't work installing them side-by-side like that,
tough.  if you want to install both versions to separate, non-system
locations, go for it.  that'll work fine, if you set the appropriate
environment variables.  otherwise, you get to keep the pieces when it
breaks.

i'm sorry if that sounds rude or patronising, but that's just how it is.

	-brian

p.s. on a side note, the betas, and most likely RC1 now, are all in portage,
so you can just unmask them and install that way (i believe you've mentioned
before that you run gentoo; if not, my apologies for the mistake).