Visted link color in documentation is hard to discern

Jeff Franks jcf at tpg.com.au
Mon Nov 15 06:38:28 CET 2004

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:

> That makes visited links stand out more than unvisited ones. How about
> making hovering and link color the same, and having extra underline
> for hovering?

Here is an interesting site that covers color selection. There is a
quick 3 page tutorial on color
(http://www.colorschemer.com/tutorial.html) that explains how to use
their online color selector to chooses web page colors
(http://www.colorschemer.com/online.html).

Based on the colors for #154374 from this selector, here's a suggestion:

Make the heading color a shade darker *#11375F**.
*Make the link color *#236EBE**
*Make the visited link *#1A5593*
Keep the hover color as is_ __*#3366FF*_, but with an underline

Here is the sample layout page I've been working on to build a CSS file
for my documentation. I have set the links to use the above colors. I
like this page layout, I'm just trying top find the right link colors to
go with it. The page uses #F3F4F8 as the background color because
'white' is ok for the page of a book but on a luminescent screen it
tends to 'glare' a bit and gets hard on the eyes. #F3F4F8 just softens
the glare. I had used darker colored boxes for code samples previously
but I thought using a lighter shade (#F8F9FD) on the #F3F4F8 background
looked good. The colors at the top I pinched from the Xfce home page. I
changed the top color to #11375F to match the darker heading color above.

I would like 3 colors but if we use monochrome shades for the links it's
hard to find 3 colors that look different enough. Essentially there is
only two colors, some dark shade and some light shade. Any third color
will have to be a different color if it is going to stand out enough for
the user. The suggested colors above do look different enough in bold
font to work but less so in a normal weight font.

Jeff.
****