A little shadow patch ...

Nikolas Arend Nikolas.Arend at gmx.net
Thu Nov 11 23:18:37 CET 2004

Olivier Fourdan wrote:

>Hi
>
>The window manager does already have this feature, but it's not user
>configurable, it's for themes.

And what exactly does that mean?

>I don't plan to make it configurable, so sorry, but that patch is not
>going mainstream...

Honestly guys, I don't understand why there's such a fuss about making
xfce4's
features configurable via the gui. I can absolutely understand (and
strongly support)
that you reject implementing fancy features that aren't adding useful
functionality, but
instead bloat everything. But once a feature has been integrated, I
don't see why its
configurability should be hidden in an rc file that a newbie won't edit
in a thousand
years. Even as a developer, I keep forgetting what exact entry must be
added to
activate a particular feature.
There could be s.th. like an "Advanced Settings" item in the
configuration manager that
covers those aspects not crucial to xfce working in a reasonable manner.
I know there's
an "Advanced" tab in the Window Manager configuration window, but IMHO
the options
there are actually not really advanced (especially in the light of the
fact that a compositor is
being added to the project, although it's not activated by default, yet).

After all, you're running the show and it's definitely up to you which
way xfce is going (if I
would be head of a project, I'd claim that right, too). But since a
declared goal of xfce is to
be a choice for a broader audience (please correct my if I'm wrong), I
cannot fully understand
that configuration policy, especially when there a volunteers willing to
send patches.

Just my 2 EuroCents,

Nick.