About transparency

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 8 02:02:09 CET 2004

edscott wilson garcia wrote:

>El dom, 07-11-2004 a las 04:21, Jasper Huijsmans escribió:
>

>>Hey all,
>>
>>I just enabled transparency in the iconbox, so it acts the same way as
>>the panel. That seems to work very nicely. For me ;-)
>>
>>However, I still worry a bit about it. Should there be a way to turn off
>>transparency? I can think of several things:
>>
>>1) Do nothing. If composite is enabled, you get transparency, no
>>questions asked.
>>
>>2) Add configure option --disable-transparancy. Should be fairly easy to do.
>>
>>3) Add run-time option --disable-transparancy. Probably about the same
>>amount of work as 2).
>>
>>4) Add a hidded config file ~/.config/xfce4/transparency:
>>    panel=on
>>    iconbox=off
>>
>>What do you think?
>>

>1 []
>2 []
>3 []
>4 [x]
>

>BTW, if the amount of transparency could be set with a gui slidebar, it
>would be perfect for me. The current level of transparency is too opaque
>for my taste. Moving the slidebar to a full opacity would be equivalent
>to "=off". This of course, is out of the question for 4.2...

yeah, this is a nice idea.  since we can't do it for 4.2, perhaps use
~/.config/xfce4/opacity instead, and then you can do:
panel=1.0   (transparency off)
iconbox=0.6   (40% transparent)

or if you think transparency makes more sense than opacity, just reverse
the sense of the value in the file before setting the window property.

    -brian