Changes between 4.0 and 4.2
jasper at xfce.org
Fri Nov 5 11:54:29 CET 2004
I have prepared a list of user-visible and important changes for all modules,
based on what I could find in the changelogs.
I'm sure it will be incomplete, so please reply with corrections and
- Improved support for Cygwin.
- New file locations based on Freedesktop.org Basedir specification
- New icons from Xfce icon theme.
- New and updated translations.
- Minimum required gtk version is 2.2 (2.4 is recommended).
- Completely new default theme.
- Improved drawing of radio and check buttons in menus.
- First day of the week option removed, because it's not present in
- New module in Xfce 4.2: find (and run) applications.
- Alternative interface to the application menu.
- Make iconbox a dock type window (always on top), like the panel.
- New module in Xfce 4.2: Freedesktop.org icon theme with special icons for
Xfce; it includes both png and svg icons.
- Complete rewrite of the mixer with settings manager dialog.
- Mixer profiles.
- Support for alsa, oss and sun audio.
- New look with smaller move handles and new default icons.
- Use global icon theme setting (in user interface dialog).
- Improved resizing and moving behaviour; panel is forced to be on
the edges of the screen.
- The panel is now a dock type window, which means it will always be
- Improved focus handling; clicking on the panel will not remove the focus
from the currently active window.
- There can be only one panel per X screen. Multihead supported when
environment is set up properly (DISPLAY variable).
- Support for kiosk mode.
- Unload unused plugins and dynamically update plugin list. Use dialog
to add new panel items, instead of a submenu.
- Mail checker now supports mbox, Maildir and POP3.
- Support for dragging applications from xfce4-appfinder to a launcher
- Transparency when XOrg Composite extension is enabled and the window
manager supports it.
- New module in 4.2: manage applications on Xfce startup.
- Themeable splash screen engines.
- System shutdown/reboot support based on sudo.
- Nothing changed.
- Updated tips.
- Nothing changed.
- New dialog layout: buttons have label below icon and are arranged in
- Font rendering settings for the user interface dialog.
- New display settings dialog. (?)
- Add support for xscreensaver settings dialog when available.
- Taskbar can be less than 100% wide
- Call 'xfrun4 filename' to get an 'Open with...' dialog
- Taskbar has option to show only icons.
- About dialog can be compiled with extra vendor information.
- Run dialog now properly checks if command fails.
- Updated user guide.
- Small changes to startup script and xfhelp4 script.
- Add -menu, -windowlist and -reload options for xfdesktop, to be use in
- Support for 'system' menu, which lists all apps that install *.desktop
files according to the Freedesktop.org Menu Spec.
- Graphical menu editor.
- Panel plugin to show the menu (yes, it's a start button).
- Multiple screen support, both Xinerama and real multi-head.
- Support for color gradient.
- Use a menu cache to improve performance after it has been generated once.
- Kiosk mode support.
- Use Freedesktop.org mime standard. (?)
- Two independent panes.
- Completely reworked toolbars and menus.
- Better archiving support (creating tar/tar.gz/tar.bz2 archives).
- Improved trash handling with support for GNOME and KDE trash bins.
- Use global icon theme (user interface dialog).
- Improved samba support
- Support for different printing backends: lpr, cups and file.
- Completely new default look. Several new themes added.
- Support KDE system tray icons.
- Improved focus handling.
- Support for more hints from the Freedesktop.org Extended Window Manager
- Combine margins and workspaces dialogs into one.
- Graphical editor for keyboard shortcuts.
- Change location of themes to be more in line with gtk, metacity,
- Support for png images for themes.
- Multiscreen support.
- Optional support for the XOrg Composite extension. This adds a
dropshadow to all windows and supports setting transparency by
applications themselves or by using a tool like transset.
More information about the Xfce4-dev