Smoother startup

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Sun May 30 20:02:37 CEST 2004

Olivier wrote:
>>The problem here is not the CPU performance, its the I/O bottleneck. This is
>
> Yes, I know about that, but I wanted to point out that with the current
> code, performance even with recent hardware is harly in line with the
> goal of xfce. Clearly GNOME is faster in this regard.

Yep, this is something I wondered as well, but I haven't found the time to
take a look into the details of the gnome menu handling.

>>Therefore I think we should first investigate into
>>developing a caching scheme, and then look at ways
>>to further speed up the
>>process of generating the menus.
>
> Well, depends, in we want to ever release a 4.2 version, then parsing
> the menus from an independant thread is the fastest path, and it would
> not be incompatible with a caching system if we ever want to implement
> one.

Ok, good point. While being at this, its a good time to make clear what do we
want for 4.2 and probably decide when we want to release it. For me this is mainly

  a) getting the session manager to work
  b) preparing xfcalendar for 4.2 (Mickael is currently too busy)
  c) finishing the API docs
  d) fixing the Display plugin
[e) fix other problems that occur if I am able to]
[f) do some work on xfprint if time allows me to]
[g) user documentation]

Benedikt

--
NetBSD Operating system:                       http://www.NetBSD.org/