Smoother startup

Olivier fourdan at xfce.org
Sun May 30 19:32:28 CEST 2004

Benny,

On Sun, 2004-05-30 at 16:02, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> The problem here is not the CPU performance, its the I/O bottleneck. This is

Yes, I know about that, but I wanted to point out that with the current
code, performance even with recent hardware is harly in line with the
goal of xfce. Clearly GNOME is faster in this regard.

> Therefore I think we should first investigate into
> developing a caching scheme, and then look at ways
> to further speed up the
> process of generating the menus.

Well, depends, in we want to ever release a 4.2 version, then parsing
the menus from an independant thread is the fastest path, and it would
not be incompatible with a caching system if we ever want to implement
one.

 - Olivier Fourdan - fourdan at xfce.org - http://www.xfce.org -