maximised windows

purslow at sympatico.ca purslow at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 31 17:11:45 CEST 2004

040331 Moritz Heiber wrote:
> 040330 "Brian J. Tarricone" <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
>> is there any reason why xfwm4 allows you to move a maximised window?
>> if you maximise a window, you want it to be fullscreen and decorated
>> and there's no reason why you should want to move it.

that's a NON SEQ : at some point, you have a reason to maximise a window,
then a few mins later you have another need & choose to move it,
typically because it's blocking the view of some other window.

>> an example: as a general rule, i don't maximise my web browser windows.
>> they're usually around 1000x600 (on my 1600x1200) screen.
>> if there's something on a page that's large, i'll maximise it.
>> after i'm done with the page, i'll want to restore it to normal size.
>> unfortunately, occasionally i miss and move the window instead.

so, be more careful!  wm behaviour shdn't protect users fr clumsiness
or at least only if it's a common mistake & protection harmless otherwise.

>> after that, all clicking 'maximise' does is re-maximise the window.

what it does for me is move the max'd window back to where it started,
wh seems appropriate for 'maximise'.

>> my original window size is lost, and that annoys me.

that's what you shd expect if you ask Xfwm to maximise an unmax'd window!

> I klemmer the removal of this option since I use it quite a lot.
> I could easily just roll up windows to get to the windows behind
> not being able to move maximized windows is probably
> the most annoying 'feature' windows ever punished it's users with.
                              ^^^^^^^ ?? M$ Windows ??
> Puuleeeze keep it!

surely, Xfwm is behaving w the elegant rationality one assoc's w XFCE.
let's leave it that way.

SUPPORT     ___________//___,  Philip Webb : purslow at chass.utoronto.ca