maximised windows

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Mar 31 15:31:53 CEST 2004

Simon Huggins wrote:

>[Please respect the Mail-Followup-To:]
>
>On Tue, Mar 30, 2004 at 09:00:06PM -0500, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>

>>is there any particular reason why xfwm4 allows you to move a
>>maximised window?  bottom line is, if you maximise a window, you are
>>saying that you want it to be fullscreen and decorated, and there's no
>>reason why you should want to move it.
>>

>On Wed, Mar 31, 2004 at 03:21:42AM -0800, Jamie Heilman wrote:
>

>>xfwm4 = re-maximizes window
>>blackbox = restores pre-maximize position and size
>>wmaker = no v/h, restores pre-maximize position and size
>>fvwm = restores pre-maximize position and size
>>flwm = restores pre-maximize size, but not position, also
>>       constrains movement of horizontally maximized windows to
>>       vertical movement only and vice-versa with vertically maximized
>>       windows, fully maximized windows cannot be moved
>>sawfish = same as flwm
>>olvwm = restores pre-maximize position and size, only does vertical maxmize
>>ctwm = restores pre-maximize position and size
>>icewm = no v/h, doesn't allow moving of maximized windows
>>metacity = no v/h, doesn't allow moving of maximized windows,
>>           automatically restores the pre-maximize size if you try
>>Microsoft Windows = no v/h, doesn't allow moving of maximized windows
>>

>I think I'm beginning to agree that maximise, move, maximise should in
>fact restore the original size/position.

while i'd usually be the first one to say "just because everyone else
does it, it doesn't mean it's right," i think in this case the user
preference is pretty clear.  if not disallowing moving of windows after
a maximise, could we at least compromise on having xfwm4 remember the
pre-maximised state _even_ if the window is moved?  then if you do:
1) click maximise button,
2) move window,
3) click maximise button,
you end up with the same size window you started with before (1).

olivier, whar do you think?

thanks,
brian