xfce-panel api

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Mar 23 12:54:55 CET 2004

On Tue, Mar 23, 2004 at 12:26:59PM +0100, Benedikt Meurer wrote:
> Jasper,
>
> >>I'm interested in development of panel applets, but
> >>I just couldn't find the referring API... I apreciate
> >>any information about that...
> >
> >There is no official API documentation I'm afraid.
>
> Should I add gtk-doc framework to the panel module?

That might indeed be the best way to finally get me to do something
about the situation ;-) Please go ahead.

> >The best thing to do is look at the code of other plugins (clock and
> >mailcheck are relatively simple). There's also a sample plugin in CVS
> >(xfce4/xfce4-sample-plugin), but it is not being maintained very well,
> >so it may not work properly anymore.
>
> Heh, indeed. But as far as I know, nothing major changed in the panel API,
> so the sample plugin should still work fine. Maybe one should come up with
> a better sample plugin, maybe combined with a small tutorial describing the
> different steps required to make it work.

Yeah, I was thinking about moving it to the panel and change the
Makefile to prevent it from being installed. That would possibly make me
pay more attention to it when the plugin API changes.

	Jasper