Trouble under FreeBSD

Benedikt Meurer benedikt.meurer at unix-ag.uni-siegen.de
Tue Mar 23 12:45:34 CET 2004

Eduard Roccatello wrote:
> Hello guys,

Hello Eduard,

> CVS build under freebsd using update-xfce
> when starting xfce with startxfce4 i got a slow start with these errors in the standard err.
> At the first load i get no icons.

What version you are using? 5.2-RELEASE or 5-CURRENT?

> XFree86 Version 4.3.0
> Release Date: 27 February 2003
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
> Build Operating System: FreeBSD 5.2 i386 [ELF]
> Build Date: 07 December 2003
> 	Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
> 	to make sure that you have the latest version.
> Module Loader present
> Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
>          (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
>          (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
> (==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Mon Mar 22 17:08:36 2004
> (==) Using config file: "/etc/X11/XF86Config"
> _IceTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.ICE-unix should be set to root

To get rid of this warning (and also avoid the stupid delay in libICE), you
could add the following to your /etc/rc.local:

if [ ! -d /tmp/.ICE-unix ]; then
         echo -n ' ICE-unix'
         mkdir -m 1777 /tmp/.ICE-unix
fi

(Theres also currently some discussion on xdg about how to handle
ICE/X/whatever sockets).

> (xfce-mcs-manager:57936): libxfce4mcs-CRITICAL **: Unable to open file /home/master/.xfce4/settings/xfwm4.xml to load data of channel "xfwm4": No such file or directory
> (xfce-mcs-manager:57936): libxfce4mcs-CRITICAL **: Failed to close file /home/master/.xfce4/settings/xfwm4.xml: Bad file descriptor
 > [snip]

Wow, this reminds me of the uthread problem with stdio. Please check if any of
your mcs plugins is linked with libxml. Then check if your systems uses KSE or
uthreads. To get a list of linked libs for a plugin, use the following command:

objdump -x <plugin>.so | grep "^[ ]\+NEEDED"

To track this problem, you can do the following: build libc and libthr with
debugging information, therefore add the following to /etc/make.conf:

DEBUG_FLAGS= -O0 -g3
NOFSCHG= #defined
NOMAN= #defined
NOPROFILE= #defined

Then goto /usr/src/lib/lib{c,thr} and type make; make install. Also remember
to build xfce-mcs-manager, libxfce4mcs and atleast xfce-mcs-plugins with
--enable-debug=full.

Afterwards kill xfce-mcs-manager and start xfce-mcs-manager from gdb. Set a
breakpoint at mcs-manager.c:1067 and run the process. Then step through the
fopen call, this will bring you into the uthread stdio handling at some point,
if the problem is caused by a thread issue. If it is, you'll probably find the
uthread file descriptor table being setup incorrectly, and the bug is known.
If it is not, try to find the cause of the problem and tell me.

> ** (xfce4-session:57926): WARNING **: Failed to get splash theme setting

This is caused because the mcs manager was unable to load the session plugin
settings.

regards,
Benedikt

--